Todd Derum, Division Chief of CAL FIRE in Sonoma County, will be speaking to wine and tourism industry representatives at an optional dinner on Tuesday, November 7th at the Hyatt in Santa Rosa.
Todd started his career with CAL FIRE in 1983 as a firefighter in the Lake-Napa Unit. In the 34 years since, he has worked in the Sonoma, Lake, Napa, and Mendocino districts.
Chief Derum will address the fires in an informal talk with attendees. “We are used to responding to fires that impact others,” said Durham in explaining what he will address at the talk. “It is a lot different when my staff members, too, are losing houses and being evacuated. These fires presented a great deal of challenges that taxed all fire authorities and communities affected.”
The dinner is open to any wine or tourism industry representatives whether enrolled in the conference or not. See details and register.
In addition, on Wednesday afternoon the conference will include a 90-minute panel on “The Wine Country Fires and Crisis Recovery.” Panelists include:
- Sonia Byck-Barwick: Co-owner of Paradise Ridge Winery which tragically burned during the fires.
- George Rose: Well-known wine country photographer who will show slides and present his first-hand experience with the fires.
- Tim Zahner: Acting CEO of Sonoma County Tourism
- Clay Gregory: President & CEO, Visit Napa Valley
- Brad Calkins: Executive Director of Visit Santa Rosa
- Lynn Carpenter, VP of Global Marketing at Visit California
- Nancy Light, Communications Director at the Wine Institute (Moderator)
The panel will not only cover what happened during the fires, with an emphasis on the wine and tourism industries, but will also talk about crisis recovery with an eye towards providing useful information to the audience.